The COO provides strategic leadership by formulating a clear institutional plan that is thoughtfully orchestrated, through integrated departmental and individual plans, to achieve coordinated organizational outcomes. The COO leads annual and long-term strategic and budget planning and oversees and monitors an overall annual budget of approximately $10M. The COO embodies an entrepreneurial spirit and drives new business initiatives that contribute to BAS’s long-term fiscal sustainability.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) position is responsible for developing and executing operating plans to support delivery on mission and strategic direction for Birch Aquarium at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. The COO is responsible for oversight of organizational strategy, business development and operational execution. The COO reports directly to the Aquarium’s Executive Director and is an integral member of the BAS senior leadership team. The COO manages all operational aspects of BAS including general administration, finance, human resources, IT systems, facilities maintenance, marketing, membership, visitor services (admissions, group sales, food service, first aid, parking), special events, and retail.
- Demonstrated team player attitude having a growth mindset, openness to feedback, an active listener, adaptability, with strong emotional intelligence skills.
- Broad knowledge of the organization’s processes, protocols and procedures with a focus on budget, account and fund management and / or personnel management under labor contract(s) and personnel policy.
- Proven ability to think, act and plan strategically to help BAS successfully navigate the fast changing social and economic environment.
- Proven skills to apply entrepreneurial thinking to identify and make the most of opportunities, overcome and learn from setbacks, and succeed in a variety of settings using creativity, innovation and risk-taking, as well as the ability to plan and manage projects in order to achieve objectives.
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor degree in business administration or business-related field or equivalent combination of education or experience.
- Demonstrated experience developing and successfully managing complex annual strategic and budget plans.
- Minimum five (5) years experience with demonstrated success managing the operation of a multi-million dollar aquarium, zoo, museum, science center, or related operation; demonstrated application of professional standards of aquarium, museum and/or non-profit operations.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Reno, NV, US
Application Deadline: N/A