The Office of Innovation & Commercialization (OIC) is supporting a campus-wide innovation platform to build a systemic, inclusive, and sustainable innovation culture, drive social and economic prosperity through the creation of a vibrant regional ecosystem, and accelerate the commercialization of UC San Diego inventions. It is our mission to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for all employees. We have a shared responsibility to build a workplace and culture that celebrates, values, and encourages the diverse perspectives of our employees. Our success is defined by the communities we serve, and achieved by creating equal opportunity for all.
The Director will oversee the transfer of UC San Diego-owned research materials, and will advise on the educational and service programs provided to the campus community and relating to material transfer issues and awareness. The Director will advise the AVC-I&C on organizing and optimizing the general operations of the commercialization functions for OIC, consisting of the Intellectual Property and Commercialization groups. The Director has the full scope of responsibilities for overseeing issues regarding the negotiation of agreements, licensees, contracts, and evaluating portfolio inventions in various stages of development. The incumbent will serve as a liaison for faculty and staff across all UCSD offices to aid in developing technology development strategies and to ensure compliance with University-wide and campus policies. Extensive interaction is required with campus researchers, senior campus administrators, potential industry partners, patent and contract attorneys, industrial scientists, senior business development executives, entrepreneurs and venture capitalists. The Director will represent the university throughout the community in building relationships with industry, investors, entrepreneurs, sponsors, underrepresented groups, and others in the community who can partner with the university to further our economic development goals.
- Expert understanding of applicable laws/policies/principles for intellectual property/ technology transfer/commercialization, economic development, private-public partnerships and has excellent connections to further these initiatives.
- Advanced negotiation skills and strategic thinking requisite for sustained, high-level interactions with government agencies, industry and other private sector sponsors.
- Facility with commercialization tools for use in office and IP portfolio management
- Excellent project management skills to handle a portfolio of diverse UCSD innovations in a wide variety of scientific disciplines.
- In-depth understanding of national and international developments in the management of IP license and related agreements.
- Strong ability to communicate with diverse audiences. Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills to interact with UCSD researchers and potential licensees from the industry.
- A track record of managing a diverse and high-performing team, and demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. Proven competency and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Strong financial, management and leadership skills. Demonstrated effective managerial, supervisory, leadership and communication skills.
- Understands and appreciates research enterprise in an academic institution as it relates to intellectual property and technology commercialization.
Qualification & Experience:
- Graduation from college with a major in business administration, economics, operations research, engineering, a physical science, or an allied field, and ten (10) years of experience working with Intellectual Property and/or Technology Agreements; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor’s Degree in related area and extensive experience or advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated working experience in academic and/or industrial settings.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Diego, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A